back to TPOTC
Ok, here's my take on people's varying reactions to The Passion of the Christ. Just my opinion. I'm not out to discount anyone's thoughts or comments.
The resurrection is ultra-important to the faith of Christians. Without it, our faith is bunk. So it's no surprise that scene's brevity caused some dissension. For many of us, length of duration is parallel to importance.
But many also brought a different set of expectations to the theater.
We tend to embellish on the resurrection account. (Think big choruses, trumpets, elaborate scenes in Passion plays.) The reality is that the resurrection is so exciting, world-changing, life-changing, that we can't put it into words or pictures. So, why do we have to strive with our own means to show and tell people how joyful they "should" feel about this miracle? Do we not believe that this fact is exciting enough alone? Do we think God won't get the point across if we don't help?
In the film, we see flashback vignettes of a man who is kind, wise, loving, and set apart. Then we see this man nearly beaten to death, and then executed on a cross. There's no doubt that he's really dead. And then, we see him alive again. He's alive! That's unbelievable and absolutely amazing! I don't need to see the joyous reaction of anyone else. And I don't need someone to tell me how I should feel. The joy and excitement should be inside of me.
I have other thoughts on why the movie didn't go further, but this post is already too long. Maybe I'll bring it up again someday. But I will say this. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended the film in the tomb so that Jesus' 2nd time on Earth, and the Ascension, could be handled in their entirety in the form of a sequel. And I'd prefer that to hasty resurrection aftermath that concludes somewhere strange.
Ok, here's my take on people's varying reactions to The Passion of the Christ. Just my opinion. I'm not out to discount anyone's thoughts or comments.
The resurrection is ultra-important to the faith of Christians. Without it, our faith is bunk. So it's no surprise that scene's brevity caused some dissension. For many of us, length of duration is parallel to importance.
But many also brought a different set of expectations to the theater.
We tend to embellish on the resurrection account. (Think big choruses, trumpets, elaborate scenes in Passion plays.) The reality is that the resurrection is so exciting, world-changing, life-changing, that we can't put it into words or pictures. So, why do we have to strive with our own means to show and tell people how joyful they "should" feel about this miracle? Do we not believe that this fact is exciting enough alone? Do we think God won't get the point across if we don't help?
In the film, we see flashback vignettes of a man who is kind, wise, loving, and set apart. Then we see this man nearly beaten to death, and then executed on a cross. There's no doubt that he's really dead. And then, we see him alive again. He's alive! That's unbelievable and absolutely amazing! I don't need to see the joyous reaction of anyone else. And I don't need someone to tell me how I should feel. The joy and excitement should be inside of me.
I have other thoughts on why the movie didn't go further, but this post is already too long. Maybe I'll bring it up again someday. But I will say this. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended the film in the tomb so that Jesus' 2nd time on Earth, and the Ascension, could be handled in their entirety in the form of a sequel. And I'd prefer that to hasty resurrection aftermath that concludes somewhere strange.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home