bla bla blog

Random ramblings from Texas.

Name:
Location: Texas

Friday, February 27, 2004

the passion of the Christ

Last night we ventured downtown to see this film.

I don't want to spoil the movie, so I won't say much about its details.

I liked the way evil was portrayed. It had many faces.

Watching Peter and his responses to Jesus touched my soul. I've always identified closely with him.

I enjoyed Gibson's interspersing of flashbacks. Not only do they give you release from the violence, but they also give depth to the story.

It's an intimate movie. I preferred to see it with Kevin and a very close friend, instead of going with a group. And I'm glad about that. There was a moment when I was so overwhelmed, and I could hear their sobbing, and all I could do was hold Kevin's hand and put my other hand on my friend's shoulder. We endured it together. It's that intense.

I made it through the violence by shutting my eyes a few times. I regret that I sometimes reminded myself that it was just a movie. I think that kept me from experiencing it with my emotions. While Kevin and my friend sobbed, I tried to stay composed. But from the moment Simon and Jesus arrived at the hill, until the end of the film, I lost perspective of the theatre around me. It ceased to be a movie. I felt like I was there watching them murder Jesus. I was sweaty, adrenaline made my heart pound, and I had a metallic taste in my mouth. And I wept.

Afterwards I felt much like I did on 9-11. I felt so utterly human. And our modern world looked so strange. The commercialism was nauseating.

And last night I couldn't sleep. I couldn't get those images out of my head. So I don't recommend seeing this movie if intense violence bothers you. I've heard some believers chastise others because of their choice not to see it. As if Christians are obligated to see it. As if you're not a good Christian for not seeing it. Bosh. Don't feel pressured to see it if you think you can't handle it.

And I wouldn't recommend it for kids at all. It's R for a reason, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home